Those who needed to straighten out their teeth and correct the way they bite usually wear dental braces. When you are wearing an orthodontic appliance like dental braces, it is very essential to observe proper oral hygiene since your teeth is prone to plaque and food particles that got stuck around the bracket and bands of your dental braces.
It is common for teenagers, ages 11-21 years old to wear this kind of orthodontic appliance. Once you have started to wear dental braces, you will have to make adjustments to your lifestyle like:
– Avoiding hard, chewy and crunchy foods like candies, chocolate bars, caramel, gummy bears, gums, etc.
– Avoid drinking carbonated drinks such as sodas
– Avoid eating a whole fruit. If possible, cut it into small pieces before eating them.
– You should practice eating soft foods like bread, dairy products, noodles, pasta, mashed vegetables, etc.
Always do what your general dentist/orthodontist instructs you after you have your dental braces. Here are some tips that you should follow to maintain a proper oral hygiene while wearing dental braces:
– Use a soft-bristle toothbrush with a fluoride-rich toothpaste when brushing your teeth after each meal.
– Use a floss threader that allows you to floss below your dental wires.
– Use a fluoride-rich mouth rinse or mouthwash after brushing and flossing.
– Avoid smoking and drinking alcoholic drinks
– When playing contact sports, wear an orthodontic-friendly mouth guard
To know more about maintaining your oral hygiene while wearing dental braces, you should talk to your dentist about it.