There are a vast number of dental procedures encompassed within the field known as general dentistry. Anything you and your family need for their dental care can be referred to your professional dentist, Dr. Qureshi, who provides these services for all of his patients, young and old alike. General dentistry normally includes not only active care, but also the patient consultation & analysis, such as x-rays and digital scans. Dr. Qureshi may also choose to apply various other methods of determining the extent of your health through testing and personal inspection of your teeth prior to administering any necessary treatment.
In terms of treatments, you will find that the dental staff at Healthy Smiles of La Grange offers all of the following procedures to improve your well-being:
- Dental cleaning: Something as mild as sound advice on the best ways to brush and floss effectively, or a full scaling and polishing procedure to remove embedded plaque and tartar from the teeth and gums.
- Crowns: Artificially produced teeth which act as a sort of “helmet” protecting and strengthening damaged, broken, or even missing teeth (used with an implant). Crowns oftentimes will outlive the patient with good care!
- Root canal treatment (endodontics): Also known as endodontic treatment, this treats the damage caused when the living tissue & nerves inside of a tooth becomes badly infected. It can be performed either by a specialist, called an endodontist, or by a general dentist.
- Dentures: These are the “drop-in” imitation teeth which are familiar aspect of the elderly portrayed in pop culture – they imitate the look & feel of real teeth when most teeth are missing from the upper or lower jaw. Dentures can help restore function after a severe accident (sports or car-related), or as part of the recovery from disease.
- Bridge: Similar to dentures, a bridge is a metal-reinforced structure containing a series of multiple artificial teeth called a ‘pontic’, which is anchored to a couple of crowns at either end. The crowns act as anchors and are fitted over the original teeth to help “bridge the gap” left by several missing teeth in a row, recreating the natural function and look of the original teeth.
- Fillings: Restoring a tooth that has become like “Swiss cheese” is what fillings are made for, and can be made of various durable materials, including: amalgam, gold, composite resins, and porcelain/ceramics.
- Bonding: Bonding is when the dentist glues on a type of “shell”, also called Veneers, to the front of your existing teeth to restore the color and shape of teeth which are healthy, but are unappealing . They’re usually made of resins or porcelain for the brightest shine possible.
- Oral (inner mouth) and Maxillofacial treatments: Specialty devices which focus on treatments which involve the jaw and the overall structure of the face. Included here are procedures such as dental implants, oral appliances for treating sleep apnea, and treatments for temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ).
This list is by no means exhaustive, but they cover the more common applications of general dentistry. There are other aspects, such as cosmetic dentistry (think teeth whitening) which can also be performed by the hands of a capable general dentist, like Dr. Qureshi. Contact Healthy Smiles of La Grange for a consultation and schedule your appointment today!