Consistent dental exams and cleanings are essential to your long-term oral health. When you come in for your bi-annual exam, Dr. Qureshi’s dental assistant cleans, polishes, and flosses your teeth, taking extra care to remove any plaque on teeth or food debris stuck between them. Before you go home, Dr. Qureshi examines your teeth, gums, and jaw to check for damage or defects. He develops a plan for further treatment if he spots any problems. Preventive care enables the staff at Healthy Smiles of La Grange to assess and treat your issue now before you have a serious dental condition later.
Teeth Cleaning Treatments and Exams
- Diagnostic Assessment and X-rays: X-rays enable Dr. Qureshi to detect problems such as cysts, tooth decay, oral tumors, and other significant dental issues. Depending on your insurance coverage, this may occur only once per year.
- Screening for Oral Cancer: For this screening, your dentist checks for white or red mouth sores that could indicate the presence of oral cancer.
- Gum Disease Assessment: Since the earliest symptoms of gum disease often go unnoticed, early detection is essential. Untreated gum disease can increase the risk of diabetes, heart disease, and lung problems.
- Inspection for Tooth Decay: Dr. Qureshi uses a specialized dental instrument to check the entire surface of each tooth for the presence of tooth decay.
- Inspection of Current Dental Restorations: If you have fillings, crowns, dental implants, or another type of dental restoration, it’s important to check their condition regularly to determine if you need a replacement.
- Removal of Tartar or Calculus: Tartar, which also goes by the name calculus, consists of hard deposits on your teeth that attract debris and leave a yellow discoloration. Your dentist will scrape away any existing tartar at your appointment to ensure that your teeth remain healthy.
- Removal of Plaque: Plaque is a colorless form of bacteria that sticks to the surface of your teeth. Infection or decay can occur when plaque mixes with saliva and food particles and remains on your teeth indefinitely.
- Polishing of Teeth: Even if you brush and floss twice per day, it may not be enough to keep the plaque and tartar off your teeth. Professional dental polishing removes these substances as well as leaves your teeth sparkling white and clean.
Please contact Dr. Qureshi or a member of his staff at Healthy Smiles of La Grange to learn more about preventive dentistry services and why they are so essential. We always accept new patients and look forward to seeing you soon.