Malocclusion of the teeth or bad bite is a misalignment problem that can lead to other oral health problems. Having a malocclusion can result to crowded teeth, crossbite, overbite, underbite and open bite. Your teeth won’t be able to function normally if they are misaligned.
What are the symptoms of a malocclusion?
Symptoms of this disorder may be subtle or severe:
- improper alignment of teeth
- alteration of facial appearance
- unavoidable frequent biting of the inner cheeks or tongue
- feeling of discomfort when chewing or biting
- development of a lisp and other speech problems
- breathing through the mouth rather than the nose
How is it treated?
Patients diagnosed with mild malocclusion may not require any dental treatment. However, if your La Grange dentist sees that your malocclusion is severe you will be in need of more professional treatments.
Malocclusion treatments include:
- braces to correct the position of teeth
- extraction or removal of teeth to correct overcrowding
- reshaping, bonding, or capping of teeth
- oral surgery to reshape or shorten the jaw
If you think you have the symptoms of malocclusion, don’t wait longer to avoid further complications. Call us today at (708) 482-4420 to schedule an appointment and learn more about this dental problem. We will let you know how it may be treated and help you protect your overall oral and digestive health.